1. The ambiance. From the moment you pull up and catch a glimpse of this restaurant the contemporary and modern design will appeal to you. With brick walls that give the place a metropolitan look and the giant fish tank hanging from the ceiling which adds a touch of originality, the decor is just flat out awesome. The retractable garage doors that separate the dining room from the patio are equally attention grabbing.
2. The bar. Wow… When you envision specialty hand-crafted cocktails and a jaw-dropping lineup of craft beers, this is the place your dreams will take you to. The new owner, Nicole Kapnison, has a passion for craft beer which is made evident by the impressive list of delicious beers she has put together. Whether it’s a super creative cocktail or a hard to find beer, you’re looking for, get down to the bar at Nob Hill Bar & Grill to find something different and exciting!
3. The new Owner: Nicole Kapnison. To be clear, Nob Hill Bar & Grill has always been a good place to drink and dine but with Nicole up to bat, the establishment as a whole has been elevated to a new level. From the aforementioned new beer and cocktail list to the new menu, one thing is very clear, this place has gone from a good place to eat to an absolutely fantastic restaurant & bar to see and be seen, any day of the week.
4. The Executive Chef: Philip Roybal. Having had the pleasure of watching this man whip up a few dishes on the line in his immaculate kitchen I can tell you, this guy can throw down! Chef Roybal cooks with flair and a passion that shines through every single dish. It doesn’t matter if he is cooking a signature entrée, or something as simple as a salad, his love and desire to please your taste buds is inspiring and can be tasted in every bite.
5. The ‘This Ain’t Yo Mama’s Meatloaf’. I’m just going to come right out and say it, this is my favorite thing on Chef Roybal’s menu without hesitation. In fact, this is arguably the very best Meatloaf I have ever had in my entire life! A really cool side note is that Chef Philip uses 100% New Mexico raised beef for this dish. As if that isn’t enough, he stuffs it with Mozzarella Cheese and wraps it in BACON! Applewood Smoked Bacon to be exact. Served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, fresh vegetables and a delicious Shallot Gravy this dish is the perfect meal anytime.
6. The service. Most would agree that the service at a restaurant can make or break the experience. Nob Hill Bar & Grill is the type of establishment which puts forth a highly commendable level of effort to ensure that each and every guest has the best service possible. From the second you walk into the restaurant you will encounter some of the best hospitality The Duke City has to offer. No request is too large at Nob Hill Bar & Grill. I thoroughly enjoyed the service and I am sure that you will too.
7. The freshness. Everything about this place has a bright fresh appeal to it and to me, quite frankly, that’s an exciting quality to encounter in a restaurant. It all sparkles, the walls, floors, and booths, it’s all so clean that you just want to sit there for as long as possible and soak it all in. That is a huge deal at eateries and it was very refreshing to see Nob Hill Bar & Grill at the top of the list of places I eat at that are extremely fresh and clean.
8. The support of local business. Whether it’s sourcing his vegetables, his meats or even baking his own breads, Executive Chef Philip Roybal goes to great lengths to ensure that your meal is as local as possible. It’s very important for Chefs to support their local farmers and butchers as much as they can because nothing builds a community better than when you support a local restaurant who supports their local farms. Practices such as this are what make a city as close knit as Albuquerque is.
9. ‘The Dirty Burger’. They tricked me into this one, and boy am I glad they did! I had just finished up sampling a bunch of Chef Roybal’s tasty cuisine when out walked Nicole with this HUGE beastly thing they call “The Dirty Burger” which consists of their own house blended beef patty, topped with Chile Con Queso, Chile, Frizzled Onions, Bacon, Beeronaise and Fried Egg! As full as I was I couldn’t help but take one giant bite out of it and that was when I tapped out! Juicy, full of flavor and flat out fun is what comes to mind when I think of this burger.
10. The overall presence, and contribution, in the city. I really feel like this place gets it right. From A to Z what Nicole Kapnison and Chef Philip Roybal are creating is a real winner. With the comfort of their guests at the forefront of their decision-making process, it’s no surprise to see them achieving as much success as they have. Nob Hill Bar & Grill brings a fresh, exciting and innovative approach to the Duke City dining scene and as a result, the entire industry benefits. Whether it’s going in for a quick bite to eat for lunch, going in for a fantastic alcoholic beverage or sitting down for an extended dinner, you are sure to have a great experience from beginning to end. I know I did. Hats off to a job well done.
Check out the video below to see Chef Marc Quiñones in action at Nob Hill Bar & Grill!